Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Old V-Max Front Brakes.

OldMan70 OldMan70
Enthusiast | Posts: 386 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 05/14/12
09:28 AM

The front brakes haven't worked very well for some time now. But since I only ride it a couple times a month to keep the carbs clean, it hasn't bothered me too much.

So yesterday I thought I would check the pads but they seem ok. Guess since they weren't working too well it wasn't wearing the pads. So I bled them and started getting brakes again. Shocked

They still don't work anything like they did when new but they do respond when you hit the lever. They are pretty mushy but I'm not sure why. It could be the old rotors but I'm not trying to put it back to new.

If this were my only bike I would do a better job but I have too many bikes to support.. dj  Cool  
_________
Lets Ride

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/15/12
06:52 AM

i would start by completely replacing the fluid.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Posted: 06/21/12
02:32 AM

Icon Quotehacksaw:
i would start by completely replacing the fluid.

Nothing but New Brake Fluid was comming out when I bled the brakes. So I guess it is completely replaced.

If I don't ride the bike almost daily, it starts going back to sleep. It runs like a champ if ridden several times a week for more than just short jaunts.  zzzzzzzz  
_________
Lets Ride

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1055 | Joined: 03/09
03:10 AM

Maybe the hoses are flexing.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
08:50 AM

Icon Quotejoegresh:
Maybe the hoses are flexing.

I am sure thats happening, the stock brake lines on an 86 are lucky not to be leaking.  But after bleeding the lines I have some brakes and I don't have to ride with all the nitwits, so its pretty safe.  Laugh  
_________
Lets Ride

BikerDash BikerDash
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/02/14
11:50 AM

It sounds like you have weak brake lines. Considering that the lines are pushing 30 years old, I would encourage replacing them. You can go OEM, or if more improvement than stock is desired, Gaffler makes some excellent lines. At the same time, it would not hurt to take off the calipers and the master cylinder, and take them to be professionally checked over/cleaned.

I'd be willing to bet good money that your brakes will feel brand new after.

I have an 03 Max, and one of the mods I will be doing in the near future is Gaffler lines.