Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

What color is Bittersweet?

motohorseman motohorseman
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 08/23/13
03:53 AM

Many years ago, there was a forum that I frequented. Frequented to the point of having well over 35,000 posts.

Many said I spent too much time there, and I have to agree.

Over the decades, I enjoyed and considered one of the guys from that magazine to be a friend of sorts, even though I never met him, though we did correspond on the forum occasionally.

My job at the time had me traveling the country, and when I was able to attend one of the motorcycle shows in Long Beach, I jumped at the chance.

At that show, there was a booth, and a guy signing posters. Posters of a Honda, and one of my friends owned a Honda shop (Rob Eidmann, RIP, who actually returned the poster to me after he sold his dealership), and I thought Rob would like the signed poster.

I waited in line, excited to meet someone who must be somebody, cool beans. When I went up to get my poster, the gentleman acted as though he did not want to be there and that he was above signing posters, his name was Denny Berg.

As soon as possible, I posted on the forum about how this went, and this fellow came to the defense of this Mr. Berg fellow, and that was one of those moments when the "World" changed, forever.

A lot of time has passed, and in reflection, I like to think Mr. Berg was just having a off day.

And I like to think that I'll someday be able to explain this to that gentleman of the "World" that I may of been wrong, and to apologize for my behavior, I was out of line.

I do respect him for backing his friend, and even though he did say that Mr. Berg probably deserved to act that way, I don't care, as it was my actions I should of better kept in check.

Maybe someday, I'll be able to make that apology, to both of them, maybe that day is here.

Another member of this forum posted he had received his October issue and how good the Indian looked. I had not seen my issue yet, how did he get his issue first!

I logged off, went upstairs, asked my sweetie if the mail came - yes, YES I had a magazine.

The Indian did look good, the whole issue, it is amazing, one of the best issues in a long time, on so many levels.

Cover to cover, it has to be done, ritualistic in a way.

Coming down from the "high" of absorbing all the new, I see the humidor offer is back, free humidor, too bad I don't smoke anymore.

Worlds fastest splitter, coming down, ready to lay the magazine down when -

BAM!

It hit me like a ton of bricks.

It is good to see Dave Edwards, memories flooded my mind. And seeing Mr. Edwards looking better than ever was another plus.

Thank you Mr. Cook, thank you Mr. Edwards, thank you Bonnier for allowing everything to happen, in its own time.  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1054 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 08/23/13
12:37 PM

Ah well, nobody is anybody really.  Strangely enough, I want Steve's autograph.  

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 08/26/13
10:00 AM

what are you trying to say, steve? should i go look for this issue to try and figure out the riddle here?
of course it wasnt bonnier that fired edwards.
but what does this mean? edwards is with motorcylist? is bike craft mag dead?

and of course i am not suprised if berg is a snob. you dont see him at  "working mans" bike shows. i have met several moto builders over the years, indian larry especially a friendly down to earth guy. but so is billy lane, trotta and periwitz. these guys remember who made them celebs. humble friendly and appreciative. there is no "having an off day" for them. bergs clientele isnt the man in the street. it obviuosly showed  that fatefull day you met him.  

hacksaw hacksaw
10:15 AM

Th?Id=H

on topic-

american bittersweet! dont EVER plant this stuff! its super invasive, will choke other plants to death, and is a beetch to get rid of. i have been fighting it for over 30 years. it spreads by runners as well as seeds. almost impossible to remove an entrenched system of well established bushes w/o the use of herbacides.

the color? green leaves. deciduous . green to yellow to ripened red berries. kill all you can.

metric bittersweet is just as bad, but less tolerant of cold winters.  

10:55 AM

Icon Quotehacksaw:
what are you trying to say, steve? should i go look for this issue to try and figure out the riddle here?
of course it wasnt bonnier that fired edwards.
but what does this mean? edwards is with motorcylist? is bike craft mag dead?

and of course i am not suprised if berg is a snob. you dont see him at  "working mans" bike shows. i have met several moto builders over the years, indian larry especially a friendly down to earth guy. but so is billy lane, trotta and periwitz. these guys remember who made them celebs. humble friendly and appreciative. there is no "having an off day" for them. bergs clientele isnt the man in the street. it obviuosly showed  that fatefull day you met him.

Dave Edwards was published on the next to the last page of the magazine, good "seeing" him again.

Brought back a lot of memories, mostly good, and some - well, best left unsaid....

Wink  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 09/02/13
09:11 PM

interesting! but what i need to know, is it worth trying to source the magazine?  Confused  

Posted: 09/04/13
04:38 AM

If you do not receive motorcyclist, then it is up to you if you want to read the article or not.

Worst case, I'm sure you could find someone to scan it for you  Wink  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 09/08/13
10:03 PM

if i see that mag around i will buy it. otherwise i sure would like to  read a scan .  thanks.  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1054 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 09/09/13
02:21 PM

WTF, hack?  You can get a year subscription for the cost of one newstand issue!