Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Is it just me? (rant, sorta)

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 173 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 08/03/13
07:15 AM

Lately, I have watched in dismay at the state of motorcycling.

8000 dollar dirt bikes, 12-20 thousand dollar road bikes, abs, (two fingers, and your big toe people) traction control, (no wrist control? Hmmmm)

Not every bike is a race bike, why buy a replica so you can ride 3 miles down to starbutts for an overpriced coffee, with frilly flavors and half milk? The ones that don't have all the fancies get lumped into "beginner bikes" or "ladies bikes". (I know a few ladies who could whip your ass at an chosen track)

Did all the latest pharmaceuticals neuter us? Who beside Mr. Gresh or myself would ride a 50-350cc cross country? With a points ignition, chain to adjust, or God forbid, no trip meter/fuel gauge, hard bags, ect?

I know most are worried about self preservation with all the gadgets, while they hork down big macs and a pack or two of marlboros a day, but really? Or am I just stuck in the 70's when men were men and PC was two random letters side by side?

Seems like all good things, true motorcycling has become a "sport" for the rich, or at least upper middle class. Anyone remember Hang gliding, ultralight aircraft, or even general aviation? Who among us would build a hang glider out of bamboo carpet poles, duct tape and clear plastic sheeting? (It was the most fun under 10 dollars could buy in 1978, almost).

Believe me, I could go on and on, but there are only 3-5 of you who will respond to this, so I am keeping it short.

Thanks for listening,

Joe

Yes, I know about the Urals and Royal Enfields, and "vintage" bikes, but those are waaaay over priced. Wink  

motohorseman motohorseman
Enthusiast | Posts: 498 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 08/03/13
09:56 AM

Good post, I can relate with most of it.

Over the past few days, I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of motorcyclist heading to the Dakota's -

And some of the motorcycles were actually being ridden!

Most, trailers, nice enclosed trailers, being pulled by $50,000.00 "pickups".

Some, open trailers, a few bikes, in the back of pickup's, "Old Schoolin'" it.

Of the motorcycles, vast majority Harleys and the Harley clone rider.

Some Gold Wings, a few BMW's and I saw one 2nd Generation VMax.

Yesterday, I ran into a couple of 1%'ers at a Quick Trip in KC.

Galloping Goose Motorcycle Club Logo

One was in full colors, the other a pledge.

Both in perfectly clean, new looking vests.

Both riding nice new clean & shiny Harley-Davidson's.

I'm used to the dirtier jacketed, rougher looking motorcycle members, but hey, nothing wrong with a cleaned up image.

Times have changed, to each their own, just allow me to continue "ride my ride", and I'll leave others to ride (or trailer) theirs......  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

jcc jcc
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 08/04/13
06:20 AM

Can't say much as I just bought a leftover '12 (MSRP of $9500) Silver Wing super scooter with abs. Got a good discount but still to much. I am 70 and can't take the $ with me when I go, so??? If they weren't to much trouble to own I would buy a diesel motor home with a garage on the back for the scoot. If folks can afford the nice toys, more power to 'em!!!!  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1051 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 08/05/13
05:20 AM

I'm liking BGJ's 50cc cross-country run.  Call it The 50ccCC Tour.

My Honda 50 is presently out of commission but I could get it running with a massive time investment.  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1051 | Joined: 03/09
05:21 AM

Good rant BTW.  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
04:32 PM

Let me know Joe, I'll meet you half way. I am in North eastern Ohio. We'll do a write up on it. Smile  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
04:33 PM

Oh...and Thank you!  

Posted: 08/06/13
04:17 AM

Icon Quotejcc:
Can't say much as I just bought a leftover '12 (MSRP of $9500) Silver Wing super scooter with abs. Got a good discount but still to much. I am 70 and can't take the $ with me when I go, so??? If they weren't to much trouble to own I would buy a diesel motor home with a garage on the back for the scoot. If folks can afford the nice toys, more power to 'em!!!!

Many a good memory on Silverwing scooters (and motorcycles), they are highly underrated.

How is it hanging over at CW?

This is a far more exclusive forum  Blush  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

jeffkushner1 jeffkushner1
User | Posts: 160 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 08/07/13
10:57 AM

I'm with you Joe....PC USED to mean "personal computer", now it's a fear driven condition where everyone is scared to death......bunch of *** if you ask me. No one has the stones to stick up for what they believe anymore. Just once, I'd like to hear someone tell one of those new morons "Yes I said it, big deal, I hear cracker and saltine all the time and you don't see ME getting out of shape over it...it's a word, grow up".

I collect and restore my old school bikes and yes, I actually ride them. There is a supreme level of comfort knowing that no matter what breaks on your bike, you can fix it, most times while you are still on the side of the road.

My Vstrom 1000 is the first and only new bike I've ever bought....yup, a big $7,400 out the door in '07. I couldn't believe that I spent that much on a bike but I did it as a reward to myself. No, it's no Multistrada or GS but it's perfect for me. After spending so many years on the side of the road, it sure is nice to ride a thousand miles out to Mid-Ohio and back over the course of a long weekend or 900 to SC and back without worrying that I might be spending part of that time by the side of the road. I ride long distances so you don't need to tell me what I see out there.....and you are 100% right, very few motorcyclists but a lot of "riders" that wouldn't have a clue how to do more than changing their bike's oil, if that much. One of my favorite characters I've met on the road was a grizzled old Harley rider a couple years ago I met riding from FLA to NY on Rt 95. We kept trading places as one or the other would stop for fuel....finally, we met up in North Carolina and I asked him about all the bikes we had passed that were being towed...he exclaimed "Posers, I'd piss in their gas tanks ha ha ha". We laughed and laughed hard over that one but he was right...posers, pretenders. They are the guys that look shocked when I suggest we ride a few hundred miles.....

BTW- I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out of congratulations to my sweetheart Kerry for taking and passing her motorcycling course last week while my daughter and I were vacationing on the west coast. I'm not thrilled that she's get her license but I am proud of her for succeeding! I gave her the full-faced helmet, armored jacket and gloves she had borrowed for her class. The least I can do is give her the tools to be safe with!

Ride safe and be safe,

jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!

jcc jcc
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 08/15/13
08:43 AM

Icon Quotejcc:

Icon Quotemotohorseman:
Many a good memory on Silverwing scooters (and motorcycles), they are highly underrated.

How is it hanging over at CW?

This is a far more exclusive forum  Blush

CW is slow, tho not so much as this one. Only forum that I visit that is active is the "WildGuzzi" board. For some reason it is still growing. I don't post a lot on any of them!!  

Posted: 08/16/13
05:28 PM

Customer service 101:  Blush

Stilettousaweb Zps884d0bfe  
Saint Joseph, Missouri