Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

SAVE (the) MOTORCYCLIST

inspectorrgadget inspectorrgadget
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/25/13
11:40 PM

If I had to pick favorites, it is Motorcyclist (vs Cycle World).  What prompts me to point this out is the awful news that Cycle World's parent bought out Motorcylist.

'Til now,I've been a sleepily contented magazine reader who paid little attention which magazine he was reading.  I cherished Kevin Cameron's writings; he is a true treasure.  I wish there were more columns by the indelible Joe Gresh (bathrobe-on-a-Harley-with-cigar). Wordsmith Jack Lewis is so much like me I think that we must have been separated at birth; I wonder why he does not appear more often.  

The silence in reaction to this takeover is deafening. Where is the outrage? Am I the only print-reader left? ...Did I mistakenly log into the forum of the Utne Reader?  I bet they have more people in their forum than this one!  There are artifacts of some forum abandonment.  Was it facebook, or a tribe of the banned who have deserted the banishers?  I think the answer lies in following the money.

On the money, remembered the smoking gun: Back in 2005, somebody peed in Snell Foundation's  Wheaties by pointing out how such helmets were worse than the cheaper DOT helmets.  The New York Times chimed in about how advertisers abandoned this magazine in reaction to an unholy truth.   Today, I read this fine and entertaining magazine may be waiting for the other shoe to drop. Confused

The Snell fiasco reminds me of others who told the truth, and got wacked for it:  Juan Williams, General McCrystal, and more now-obscure names come to mind (anybody remember Linda Tripp?)

My Motorcyclist renewal has been languishing after my wife hid it under the banana rack.  Do I send it in?
Sincerely,
Chad Dada
Red Bluff, California
PS This is my first ever post, please forgive any ignorance I display.  SAVE MOTORCYCLIST!  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 173 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 05/26/13
06:13 AM

Oh, the horror.  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1049 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 05/26/13
02:05 PM

Thanks for the boost, Chad.  As far as the mag selling, since I've been around (not that long) MC mag went from Primedia to Source Interlink and now Bonnier.  Business as usual, no worries.  

Like one buffalo said to the other right before rumbling off a cliff, "Nice day for a stampede, eh?"

Google up Jaxworks to get your daily dose of Lewis, I get most of my material there.  It's a friggin' gold mine.  Lewis is so busy eating and sawing off his limbs he doesn't notice.  

motohorseman motohorseman
Enthusiast | Posts: 498 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 05/27/13
04:36 PM

Motorcyclist seems to actually be getting better each month, they are heading in the right direction again.

Heck, I even noticed Annette is actually wearing practical boots while riding!  Wink

Long live Motorcyclist!  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

DocFXDX DocFXDX
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 06/06/13
04:25 PM

It's Jaxworx in case anyone is interested in a damn fine read.

DocFXDX  
FXDX Superglide Sport
Ducati 900 Monster - for doing something stupid
Roadglide Ultra - The RV
XR250- For when I want to do something really stupid
'68 Bonneville T-120

joegresh joegresh
Posted: 06/07/13
06:00 AM

Everybody's an editor...  

DocFXDX DocFXDX
Posted: 06/10/13
09:54 PM

Man, I would not presume to edit your work. You and Jack are the most interesting moto-authors in the biz these days.

If you ever mess up and find yourself in Orlando, ping me and we can go for a ride.  
FXDX Superglide Sport
Roadglide Ultra - The RV
'68 Bonneville T-120

DocFXDX DocFXDX
Posted: 06/10/13
09:54 PM

Man, I would not presume to edit your work. You and Jack are the most interesting moto-authors in the biz these days.

If you ever mess up and find yourself in Orlando, ping me and we can go for a ride.  
FXDX Superglide Sport
Roadglide Ultra - The RV
'68 Bonneville T-120

joegresh joegresh
Posted: 06/12/13
04:08 AM

I hang out in the Ocala Forest quite a bit.  The Love Shack is situated near 40 & the St. Johns river.  Nice riding areas up there.