Subscribe Now
Facebook Motorcyclist Radio
Newsletter

Hello, just joined, and i'm gonna be a "new" rider.

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Hello, just joined, and i'm gonna be a "new" rider.

XR7man XR7man
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/21/13
08:53 PM

I rode one street bike in my life and it was a horrible experience,i'll briefly explain.I owned 3 dirt bikes in my life,an 80cc a 125 and a 480.Never owned a street bike,but a buddy of mine had a couple different bikes,he passed away yrs ago, but i was maybe 23 and he had a 73 Honda CB750. Same yr i was born.I think my car weighs less,and it's a decent size.. Anyway,for a basically 0 experienced rider,what bike would you suggest? I'm not a heavy person either,actually i could gain some. I'm 5'/9.5" tall 150lb. I weighed more back then  when i rode that small car like 750,also it was an irresponsible party,so it's an all different me basically. My eye's love the new 636cc ZX-6R Ninja, man that's a nice bike,but i would be afraid of it,i mean my other buddy he's 53 and has yrs of experience, he told me little things i didn't even think of.Like the tar for cracked parking lots such as a Walmart on a hot day, 1 wrong move with to much twist, and it'll be right out from under you.Just little things because of no experience. But the pansy looking 250cc and little bikes huh,my CR480 would've been scarier to ride for the average 1st time person riding Shocked Well i know one thing,i will learn a lot just reading,because again no street exp.Thanks guys/gals.  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 175 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 07/22/13
04:02 AM

Welcome to the deadest forum, for the biggest bike mag.

Your dirt riding experience will no doubt help you in the long run.

I'd suggest something in the 500-800cc range for you. Like cruisers? TONS available in that size.  Too numerous to list here.
How about an older Ninja 500 (sorta) sport bike?

Or, what about a 650 dual sport (enduro to us old guys)?

I'll use a corny saying my dad uses-(he's 80, rides fairly often)- "Pizza is like sex, there ain't no bad pizza or sex."

I'll just add "There ain't no bad motorcycles".  

jeffkushner1 jeffkushner1
User | Posts: 160 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 07/25/13
02:45 AM

Welcome to the sport of riding XR. Joe's telling you right, something above 500cc will keep you happy for a long time without putting you on your ear. My biggest recommendation isn't which bike to buy but to sign up for a MSF course and take the advanced course afterward. A lot of us have 20-30-40 years riding experience but just starting out you have a LOT to soak in. Just practice a lot, especially braking. Learn how and when to use the front brake and practice it for hours until you can stop faster then the book says you can.....then practice some more! Whenever you ride, keep your head on a swivel watching everything around you. I depart from what most instructors will tell you here, they will say things that happen 120 degrees in front of you will affect you....it's true but something behind you can get in front of you PDQ when it's moving fast so it's best if you see it early.....oh, and do the "weave" as you approach anyone turning left in front of you. Otherwise you will swear they looked right at you.....before they turned into your path!

See, a lot to learn....so good luck and stay safe!!

jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 175 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 07/25/13
02:47 PM

Good catch Jeff.

I forgot to add "take the course"...here in Ahia, it's mandatory. Even if it's not mandatory in your state, it's one of the best things you can do.  

motohorseman motohorseman
Enthusiast | Posts: 508 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 07/26/13
04:04 AM

Welcome to the forum, enjoy whatever motorcycle you go with.

My youngest son is 17, only ridden a Ruckus, and I'm about to plant him on my 1989 FJ1200 as his first street bike.

No MSF class, he wants to take it, he can when he has time.

It's more the rider than the bike, but to each their own.

My issues with hard core sport bikes for new riders are mainly with the riding position, ergonomically, it is uncomfortable and does not lend itself to low speed handling.

That old FJ is a nice sit up standard, I think my son will do well on it.

And I know it will not be able to keep up with my XX  Cool  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1055 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 07/28/13
06:07 AM

If you've ridden a CR480 most street bikes will seem dull by comparison!