Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

First Bike for a woman??

sunsweetiehb sunsweetiehb
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/13/07
04:01 AM

Hello all. I'm trying to make up my mind between a GSXR600 and the R6.  From what I can tell they don't vary tremendously.  I'm looking for something that I can handle easily. I am used to off roading my 450cc ATV.  I want something stable. I'm not looking to do any tricks. Just fun. I'm 5'2" so I know I'm short. I don't want to struggle to stop and put my feet down.  Any suggestions.  Also email me at sunsweetiehb@yahoo.com

I can't always get to this website. Thanks.  

JudeN JudeN
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 03/13/07
12:01 PM

You can always lower any bike. How much riding experience do you have on the street? Most people wouldnt recomend either of those bikes for someone new to riding on the street (man or woman).  The new ninja650 was mention as a good starter bike. It also has a lower seat height then those other 2. It also depends on what kind of riding, if your looking for something to commute on, or be a little more relaxed on, again those 2 arent the best. The Yamaha YZF600R is more comfortable, so is the aforementioned ninja650.  for the record, the ninja 650 is a twin (suzuki SV650 too), twins are more forgiving than the 600cc inline fours you mention.  

Sloth Sloth
User | Posts: 82 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 03/14/07
07:44 AM

One point about the Ninja 650 --Makes an awesome starter bike, and it is lower from stock than the frontline middleweights. However, due to the rear suspension arrangement, lowering it is EXTREMELY difficult. About the only option to bring the rear down is a shorter shock from Penske, where the middlewieights allow you to replace the ride height adjuster seperate of the shock. A new Penske takes the 650R DANGEROUSLY close to the cost of a racerep 600. But, the dynamics of the twin, and the fact that it has less power while not being a slug, generally make it a better newbie bike.  

JudeN JudeN
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 03/17/07
02:11 PM

This just occured to me and i mention it to someone in another post, but if your buying new, take the time to check out your local dealers, that can impact your decision as well. I bought 2 bikes from the same dealer because i was impressed with the sales people when i purchased the 1st bike, then when i bought my second i went to the same dealer because i was impressed by the guys im the shop, they were good about answering any stupid questions i had. My Yamaha had issues about shifting into nuetral at a stop and i one day i stopped by and asked the guys in the shop and they took the time to make sure my clutch was adjusted right and gave me some pointers as well, no charge.  If i didnt live 1100 miles away now, i would definatley buy from them again.  

kmunny19 kmunny19
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/05/07
01:54 PM

I hope its not too late but those are dangerous choices for any new rider, even with ATV experience.  Throttle, steering and brake response on these bikes are extremely reactive to inputs, that until you're used to riding on two wheels, will not be smoothe and accurate.  Don't take this personally.  A new motorcyclist starting out on these bikes is like a 15 year old with temps learning to drive a Ferrari.  The only difference is these bikes accelerate faster than a Ferrari, have half the wheels and no roof.  The Ninja 650 or 250 or the Suzuki SV650 are much better choices, which are FAR MORE forgiving of mistakes.  GSXR, CBR, ZX, R6 or 1 are street legal race bikes, you want a few years practice before you get one.  The people who tell you that crashing is a part of riding or that it is inevitable, started out on the race bikes and crashed their way through the learning curve.  Instead, get a manageable, fun bike you can grow with, safely.  

Falco-#002 Falco-#002
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 04/25/07
10:02 PM

Advice I was given as a new rider was one of the following:

1)  Ride dirt first. There are many skills built on dirt that will transfer to street. I believe this is true.

2)  Suzuki SV650 (every male insisted this was the bike for females starting out).

3)  Buy a used, low cost bike as your first investment. Many new riders lay it down softly, going 0-5 mph in the first 1-40 miles.

While I completely understand that the SV650 is a terrific starter bike and often recommend it, I resisted out of foolish reasons, mostly because I didn't want to be like everyone else.  I felt I needed a tad more spice. =)

In retrospect, I'm happy with my progression and assume you will be too, in whatever you choose, if it fits your height/weight/skill level.

My progression went like this:

1976 Honda 125 Trials
1995 Suzuki DR 350
2000 Ducati Monster 600
2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750

The GSX-R 750 is a bit of a leap, but oh what fun it is...  =)  

batgirl333 batgirl333
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/03/09
05:20 PM

I am also 5'2".  I have been riding on the road for about 18 months on a Honda VTR250 (perfect learner bike).  I was looking at the GSXR600, R6 and CBR600 - I am glad I did a fair bit of research and checked the bikes out rather than just going for looks and image.  It would have been a silly move to buy one of them - maybe one day but not just yet.  The Kawasaki Ninja650R is the go for now - practical, comfortable, looks good and I can handle it.  It is comfortable, has lots of low to mid range power and enough grunt if necessary.  The 650R is heavier than the other three, but a lot lower in the seat (I can touch the ground on the balls of both feet!!!) and the weight is down low so it doesn't feel to bad.  I think the twin cylinder in the 650R is going to be better for you too than the 4 cylinder of the others.

Honda doesn't really do anything similar to the 650R and Yamaha's XJ6S and FZ6S and Suzuki's SV650S, GSX650 and GS500F didn't really do it for me, but check them out.

My advice - read as much as you can, go to the dealers and check out the bikes, have a test ride and don't let them 'bully' you - the same deal WILL be there tomoz.  YOU have to be comfortable and happy.

Ahhh Ninja 650R - happy!!!  

julin22 julin22
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/11/12
12:01 AM

Yes, I found the freeway to be very scary when I first started riding. I feel that before starting to ride on a freeway one should be comfortable operating their bike, riding on regular streets and able to  

Anant Anant
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 02/25/13
04:30 AM

Yes, I am agree with you. Experience is always work before buying a bike. Yamaha YZF600R is a good bike.  
New Bikes||Compare Bikes

PinkBUNNY46 PinkBUNNY46
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/22/13
04:56 AM

my first bike was Gsx-R600 and i LOVE IT i drive so easy