Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Oil in gas, Excessive clutch free play

GeoGuy GeoGuy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/28/13
12:51 AM

Went out today to get the bike out of hibernation and discovered the gas tank empty and the transmission full of oil and gas.  The bike is a '97 Suzuki Bandit 600.  I don't think it was the needle valves leaking in the carbs, but instead either I or one of the kids turned the petcock to PRI at some point since it was put away for the winter back in November.  Anyway, I drained the oil/gas mixture and planned to run new oil through the bike for about 15 minutes to stir up any remaining gas, and then change the oil again.  However, I noticed the clutch lever has a lot of free play - almost back to the handlebar.  It wasn't like this when I put the bike up for the winter and I don't think the kids messed with the clutch lever as that would have taken some effort that I don't see them doing.  There's lots of info on the internet about gas in the trans oil, but nothing mentioning excessive free play in the clutch associated with gas in the oil.  I'd appreciate it if anyone had any ideas on the reason for the clutch free play.  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1055 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 04/28/13
06:01 PM

If the needles and seats are good in the carbs fuel should not leak into the engine in prime position.  Prime bypasses the vacuum shut off.

On the clutch- maybe the plates swelled from the fuel?  If it's a hydraulic setup maybe stuck master?

Can you tell I'm guessing?