Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Saying goodbye, to many ads

jeffkushner1 jeffkushner1
User | Posts: 160 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 04/17/13
02:59 PM

I fully understand the need for a magazine to sell pages of advertising. Especially today with money tight and circulation difficult to maintain for any publication its very important since no ad's, no magazine! I received my June edition and counted 72 pages of full page ad's, out of 122 pages total. That's not counting the half or quarter page ads or inside covers and not counting the trick of using a full page picture to lead an article... that works out to 41% content and a staggering 59% ad's. When the subscriber is paying a greater percentage of his money for people to sell to him rather then to provide knowledge, entertainment and other peoples different bike related experiences and fun , it's time to rethink the purpose of buying the magazine in the first place.

The part that made it so bad was that it was so noticeable,it was mostly ads and very few articles and given the profusion of blogs today, I can't believe that the group couldn't round up more content and writers if getting a respectable amount of meat without resorting to so much filler was an important priority for them but since it apparently isn't, I'll get my "fix" somewhere else.

I have subscribed for the past 6 years or so and used to subscribe for many years back in the 70's and 80's so I guess they won't miss one subscriber. It's a shame because I liked the guys, even if I didn't always agree.

Jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1055 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 04/19/13
05:52 AM

Hell, Jeff, the ads are what pays the bills!  More ads is better!  I'd like it if the sucker was 200 pages, 150 of them adverts!  Means more money to pay starving freelancers.  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 175 | Joined: 01/09
01:25 PM

My only *** about the ads was the big fat ad in the middle of the Ducati V-8 centerfold... Shocked  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 175 | Joined: 01/09
01:26 PM

BTW- when am I going to become a starving freelancer?  

joegresh joegresh
Posted: 04/22/13
06:02 AM

BGJ,

You already are!  You're just between jobs right now.  

Buelligan Buelligan
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 04/26/13
01:23 PM

I didn't pay anything for my subscription, so I'm not going to complain about anything.  

Triumph3 Triumph3
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 08/09
03:07 PM

I am not a fan of the PLACEMENT of the ads either...right in the middle of a 2-page Ducati engine photo in the new issue? How does that make any sense?

About the starving freelancers - I have also noticed a drop in the number of editorial pages. That was a part of the magazine that I enjoyed.

I am not sure I am loving the new direction.  

motohorseman motohorseman
Enthusiast | Posts: 508 | Joined: 04/13
05:54 PM

I was able to remove the offensive advertisement with minimal damage to the magazine. I agree, the placement could not of been worse.  
Saint Joseph, Missouri

joegresh joegresh
Posted: 04/28/13
06:03 PM

Icon Quotemotohorseman:
I was able to remove the offensive advertisement with minimal damage to the magazine. I agree, the placement could not of been worse.

About time you got back.  

motohorseman motohorseman
Enthusiast | Posts: 508 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/29/13
07:04 AM

Icon Quotemotohorseman:

Icon Quotejoegresh:
About time you got back.

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the kind words.

All 5 of them.  Wink
Saint Joseph, Missouri

Buelligan Buelligan
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 04/30/13
11:53 AM

Icon QuoteTriumph3:
I am not a fan of the PLACEMENT of the ads either...right in the middle of a 2-page Ducati engine photo in the new issue? How does that make any sense?

About the starving freelancers - I have also noticed a drop in the number of editorial pages. That was a part of the magazine that I enjoyed.

I am not sure I am loving the new direction.

I typically don't pull or rip anything out of a magazine.  I still have old mags from the 70s that have all the little adds for subscriptions and such still in the binding.  When I saw that 2 page add right in the middle of the Ducati spread, I ripped it out immediately.  I can't even remember what the add was about.

Whatever was expected from the add placement was wasted effort on me.  

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/03/13
11:05 AM

LOL! back to what????   Grin