Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

New owner

realredhead realredhead
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/04/09
09:16 AM

I asked for a bike at 30, husband said no.  Asked again at 40..still no.  Now 43 and the 'ex husband' has no say.  Looking for suggestions as to what to buy..6 feet tall, 135lbs.  Grew up on the back of my dads BMW touring bike.  SWEET!!  

stratrider stratrider
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 05/10/09
08:11 AM

It depends on how you're going to use the bike and what kind of riding you like to do,otherwise it's too wide open to suggest a bike.
                                     Luke  

realredhead realredhead
Posted: 05/13/09
07:48 AM

Hope to ride on back country roads, intown (small town), and some highway.  Therefore need some speed to get me out of the way of other, bigger vehicles.  Totally plan to be a pleasure rider.  Mostly looking for guidance as to what handles the smoothest..easiest to maneuver..what is too heavy for my hgt./wgt. and make/price ranges.  Do not want to show up at the dealership(s) completely in the dark. Thanks-  

TwistedGray TwistedGray
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 05/14/09
03:56 PM

Any bikes in mind?

Are you looking at cruisers, sport touring, or supersport?

That would certainly narrow the list...

TG  

jayboydog jayboydog
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/17/09
01:48 AM

take a look at the suzuki v-strom.  it's called a dual sport (on road or off road)v-twin. the seat is high to accomodate the shocks.  650cc or 1000cc.  women look cool on cruisers.  maybe you'd like one! look for 1300cc or larger.  fuel injected, or an older carbureted bike.  i've heard guys with the BMW R1150 (upright seating) are quite happy with their choice.  i've seen women on Harley 1200 sportster, on suzuki M109R big engine cruiser, and on a honda VT (v-twin) 1100 Shadow ...from 98-2001... ACE (american classic edition) or Aero.  these have single pin crank... as some modern bikes do.  single pin crank will give you a nice harley type rhythm of sound.  also take a look at Honda 919 which is a standard bike. look online for OTD (out the door) prices. (those mean tax, title, prep, everything included).  

realredhead realredhead
Posted: 05/21/09
05:08 AM

Now this is what I call information!  Thank you so much.  I am now 'armed' with makes/models/etc and ready to make a visit to a showroom or two.  Make it a great day!! VLC  

Calli Calli
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/01/11
02:14 PM

Best to you on your venture.  I would like to recommend starting with a little starter bike like I did, to get the skills and spills down.  There is the rest of the time to get the looker.  I learned on a l980 Kawasaki 440, sweet looking and study, light to lean easy for fun.  A 250 is just as much fun and these are easier to learn on.  Now I have the 1200 custom Sportster Harley, 5 years now, got it used (shucks only a 1000 mi. on it; no sense buying anything new).   This is the performance model on the Harley line-up; it has the weight up high, this will lean and take off very quick, unlike the the other models Harley offers.

When I searched for my bike, the first criteria was to be able to touch the ground.  These are engineered for turn and lean angles and to change that will adjustments such as tires, shocks, etc. will adjust that astute engineering. . .

Let me know how you are doing!  

winelady winelady
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/08/11
11:43 AM

Hi I am new to the board and I am also looking for my first street bike.  I rode a dirtbike when I was in my 20's and loved it.  I finally got my Motorcycle license last year and really want to buy a bike.  I loved riding off road but want to use this bike for both going around town and possibly off road.
I am looking at the BMW G 650 GS, have you heard anything about the handling?  

AnnetteCarrion AnnetteCarrion
Administrator | Posts: 120 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 03/09/11
05:52 PM

Icon Quotewinelady:
Hi I am new to the board and I am also looking for my first street bike.  I rode a dirtbike when I was in my 20's and loved it.  I finally got my Motorcycle license last year and really want to buy a bike.  I loved riding off road but want to use this bike for both going around town and possibly off road.
I am looking at the BMW G 650 GS, have you heard anything about the handling?

Hi winelady,

Welcome to the forum! Thought you might find this review interesting based on your inquiry.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0905_bmw_g650gs_vs_kawasaki_klr650/index.html

Hope that helps!  

AmericaRidesMaps AmericaRidesMaps
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 03/11/11
06:29 AM

KLR's have been a workhorse for years. BMW brings the quality. Triumph is launching the new 800. You might want to look at it too.  
Blue Ridge / Smoky Mountains Cartographer

julin22 julin22
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/11/12
12:08 AM

Yes, I found the freeway to be very scary when I first started riding. I feel that before starting to ride on a freeway one should be comfortable operating their bike, riding on regular streets and able to  

Anant Anant
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 02/25/13
04:11 AM

I think you should try personally. Like gear bike or without gear bike. Take trial of several bikes and choose one.  
New Bikes||Compare Bikes