Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Looking for sources on Erv Kanemoto's early years

tailgunn tailgunn
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/23/13
03:53 PM

I am doing some research into Erv's early flat track and road racing years; late 60s/early 70s stuff. Any suggestions appreciated.  

jeffkushner1 jeffkushner1
User | Posts: 158 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 01/25/13
10:48 AM

GREAT Subject matter.....Erv had established himself long before becoming involved in SBK. If you want some info, reach out to a guy named Dave Ray. He knew a LOT of the old tuners/riders/owners back in the day. You can find him hanging around a couple of forums.....Kawasaki Triple Owners Group for one. His online name is
H2Rtuner. If he can't hook you up himself, he will be able to put you in touch with the right people. Word to the wise.....be polite and be clear what you're looking for. Some folks don't suffer fools gladly.

Here's a bonus for you:

http://3cyl.com/mraxl/tunerwisdom/flat_track.htm

jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!

tailgunn tailgunn
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/28/13
10:11 AM

Great- thanks for the info. I will try to keep it simple and to the point.  

Anant Anant
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 02/22/13
04:15 AM

Great information. Thanks for sharing this topic with all.  
New Bikes||Compare Bikes

marc99 marc99
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/22/13
11:35 AM

My meeting with Erv was when I was a kid, helping class leader Marty Seigel in AFM 750 Production in 1975.
There was something going on with our H2 cylinders that I had questions about. Erv offered to look at them. I drove 150 miles, turned left at the "Giant Artichoke" and arrived at his house.
Erv was a gentleman, reserved, thoughtful and had the ability to say "I don't know" and "that's a good question".
Erv has a quiet humor - When I questioned "turn left at the Giant Artichoke" he chuckled and said "you can't miss it".
What Erv concreted in me was respect for anybody skilled in their craft who was confident enough to say "I don't know.".
Marc Salvisberg
marc@factorypro.com
www.factorypro.com  

jeffkushner1 jeffkushner1
User | Posts: 158 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 07/25/13
02:36 AM

Marc,

I never had the chance to formally meet Erv, although in my racing days, I did see him trackside on two occasions when we were out west. You hit the nail on the head. Too many tuners/mechanics always feel some inner need to have an answer that for someone of Erv's stature to be able to admit they don't know, speaks volumes of him. You were fortunate to spend even a few minutes with someone that knowledgeable.

I'm curious though, what did you end up finding was happening to your H2 cylinders? Were you suffering cracks on the liner at the lower transfers? I only mention that because it was a mystery until we realized that we needed to leave more "meat" on the intake side to keep the exh side from cracking.....

jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!