Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Police Procedural

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1055 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 10/25/12
07:17 AM

Cop pulls me over for rolling a stop sign in the Jeep.  While the cop goes to check my paperwork I'm shooting b-roll of the cop's lights flashing in the mirror....then another cop, undercover, pulls up with lights flashing & tells the first cop I'm videoing him.

I lean out the window and say "yeah, I'm shooting video, is that not OK?"

Both cops glare at me like I'm some kind of terrorist.

Then the guys lets me off!  I think he was going to do it anyway, then the video thing. Now I feel bad.

I tell my first cop " I'm not trying to pull anything, I'm just shooting the lights flashing in the mirror."

Discussion ensues.

Then he tells me my window is broken & to go home and not drive it until it is fixed.

He's pissed off- " I don't care if you video, I've been doing this 27 years, I got nothing to be ashamed of."

Crap. The Cop is trying to do me a good turn but the vibe has gotten all aggressive.  I can be an azz hole without even trying sometimes.  

vancehunter vancehunter
User | Posts: 74 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 10/25/12
11:35 AM

Lucky for you I wasn't there to help the policemen.  I'd been telling them all those things they need to write you up on. How you video techno guy always looking for the shot.  Good thing they didnt know you, might have got ugly.....

Remember, I never called you an A Hole, just told you to quit acting like one.

Again, point proved....  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 175 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 10/26/12
04:13 AM

"...got nothing to be ashamed of."

Sounds like a spontaneous utterance. Maybe you clicked that little skeleton in his head closet, and he let you off because he lost his train of thought.  

joegresh joegresh
Posted: 11/17/12
07:42 PM

I live in a small town so I know the cop is laying for me on the windshield being broken but it's not a simple as replacing the glass.  The frame is rusted away which I was fine with but I'm not so crude as to put new glass in it.

joegresh joegresh
07:45 PM

I bought a new frame and swapped the guts into it.   now i have to reinstall and paint.  Window guy coming tuesday.

joegresh joegresh
07:50 PM

Coming along nicely now.  The windshield will be the best thing about this Jeep now.

Jeep uses a really silly gasket at the window frame joint.  It's shaped to cup rainwater and hold it against the frame,causing rust and leaks.  I cut the bottom gasket back to allow a 1/4 set-back for caulking.  White silicone fills the gap.  The only problem with this method is you can't fold the shield down but who ever does that?  

joegresh joegresh
07:57 PM

While we're on the topic of jeeps, if you own a YJ-the older leaf sprung model- the best mod you can make is to remove the sway bar and the track bars.  It frees up the suspension making the Jeep ride like a truck instead of a hardtail.  Best of all: it's free!

You can get all safety crazy on me but I notice no extra sway and the jeep tracks better now that the wheels can follow surface irregularities.  

kenneth_moore kenneth_moore
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 11/26/12
01:54 PM

Leave it to Chrysler to design a suspension that works better when half of it is removed.  

joegresh joegresh
Posted: 12/05/12
07:26 PM

I think all the track/sway bars were more of a legal response to Jeeps tipping over.  They pretty much eliminated body roll on the YJ by triangulating the axles into a rigid mess.

Look at a CJ, it has nothing- just leaf springs and shocks.  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
Posted: 12/16/12
09:40 AM

Damned liability lawyers take the fun out of everything.  

jeffkushner1 jeffkushner1
User | Posts: 160 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 01/09/13
07:16 AM

Joe,

First, I hope that you and your wife are doing well and enjoying the wamr winter in Fla.

Second- good thing that your encounter didn't happen here in Maryland! A case went to court last summer where the motorist video'ed the officer during the stop and the court said that in itself was AGAINST THE LAW!!! I couldn't hardly believe it but the judge twisted the facts to the point where he said that a traffic stop is not public, but a private meeting between two people and since the officer didn't give consent, it was unlawful for the motorist to film it. I might have some of the fact wrong here since it was a while ago but not about the outcome. The motorist was nearly found guilty of some kind of video'ing unlawfully or some BS like that.

Eventually, the case was dropped because one judge with brains said that despite an opinion by the then, States Attorney Joe Curran, a police office does NOT have the expectation of privacy during a traffic stop!!! Curran also wrote that while a office DOES have that expectation, the motorist does NOT....what's he smoking?

Unbelievable.......

jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!

joegresh joegresh
Posted: 01/10/13
05:34 PM

All is well here Jeff.

I had to fix my dirt bike transmission, otherwise everything that can run, runs.

On the cops- I've learned not to let them see me video.  

They're not bad guys.  Just tonight I mis-closed my tailgate and when I took off into traffic 500 pounds of tools/crap/flotsam scattered onto busy US1.  A nice cop was on it- had the flashing lights on and helped me pick up all the stuff.  I'm at peace with it.  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
Posted: 01/10/13
06:20 PM

Joe- That reminds me of the time I was employed by the Wasted Management company. It was my first day on the recycling truck. We made a hard right with a truck FULL of glass, and the latches let go...10,000 lbs of glass on the road, and then the drivers says "When the cops come, you'll have to say you were driving, my license is suspended." No way!

The cop just pulled up and said, "I hope you guys have a shovel." He sat there while we re-loaded the truck. No ticket. The driver was sweating bullets the whole time.

I changed over to drive the infectious waste truck shortly after that.