Subscribe Now
Facebook Motorcyclist Radio
Newsletter

Need help picking out a bike! Please help!

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need help picking out a bike! Please help!

clarkluke clarkluke
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/19/12
06:05 PM

I am needing to get a bike so that I can save on money for the next six months to a year and was thinking about a 250cc bike such as the Hyosung or the Honda CBR. I live in Atlanta and drive about 6 miles a day with me rarely getting on the highway. BUT I want to use this bike to get home to Gwinnett a couple times a month which is about 35 miles of highway driving one way.

I weigh 210 and almost 6'4. So from what I read the Ninja is definitely not for me due to it being smaller even though it has power. I am having to sell me Jeep which gets terrible gas mileage to get the bike and only want to spend $2500 max. This will be my only source of transportation, I need reliability and I want it to be a sport bike. Yes, I know this is a ridiculously small amount to pay for a bike, but finances are extremely tight till my business launches next year.

Can someone please give me their recommendations on a bike model and year that I could get a bike for at this price, if the ones I mentioned won't work? Thank you so much!  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1054 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 10/20/12
02:19 AM

You'll have a hard time burning $2500 of gas in the next 6 months.  6 miles a day is not a bad commute, maybe just keep the Jeep?

For your size, look into a dual-sport type 650 used.  Maybe a old Klr kawi or a DR Suzuki. They are nice and tall, you won't be cramped.  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 175 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 10/20/12
04:22 AM

This Joe agrees with that Joe. By the time you sell the jeep, buy a bike/plates/insurance, plus the difference in gas on 12 miles a day, you aren't really going to save anything. What's that- 12 miles per gallon (a gallon a day)x 4 bucks a gallon x 180 days =720 bucks....minus gas for the bike (2-300), plates 60?, insurance 2-600....you'll lose money.

You said you want a sport bike...uh, that's another story I won't get into.

How about a bicycle? In the mean time go back and do a lot of reading, and math, and soul searching.

If you just want to get a motorcycle, don't try to justify it with the gas money thing, it never works out.  

clarkluke clarkluke
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/21/12
09:17 AM

I burn minimum $140 a month in gas on the Jeep, haha don't ask me how! I got a quote for the Hyosung and insurance would be $200 cheaper a year for full insurance vs what my Jeep's cost with minimum. My plan is to have leftover money to be put into savings after selling the Jeep and getting the bike with everything I need.

Though at same time I think it would be fun to ride a bike around Atlanta and definitely would be an experience using it as the only source of transportation. I leave the office very late at night a lot and definitely wouldn't feel comfortable riding a bicycle home with my macbook (would get a pelican case or something similar), ipad and iphone.

Anyone else have thoughts on a bike that I could get for max $2500?  And thanks so much Joe for the names you gave me!  

CapnNeal CapnNeal
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 10/22/12
02:04 PM

If you are set on a "sport bike", try the Kwasaki EX500 Ninja..it is roomier than the 250 Ninja and stone reliable. You should be able to pick up a good example for under 2500. Otherwise, Joe's recommendation of a Suzuku DR 650 or Kawi KLR 650 is probably your best bet...but they aint "sport bikes"  As for suggestions to forget the idea....if you want a bike,get a bike...Hell with logic and common sense.!!!