Subscribe Now
Facebook Motorcyclist Radio
Newsletter

First "Fall" weather ride in this morning!

User Name:
Password:
Join FREE Now!
Forgot Password?
Forgot User Name?
Remember Me
Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

First "Fall" weather ride in this morning!

jeffkushner1 jeffkushner1
User | Posts: 158 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 09/10/12
06:29 AM

I work in Virgina and live in Maryland so I leave my house at 4am. So this morning, I decided to ride in. I walked out on the deck to find 58 degree Fall-like temps which is very invigorating at 4 in the morning!

It was a little chilly for me (cold-blooded) but felt great! I always notice that no matter what bike I'm riding, they always run better in cooler temps.

I got on the Beltway and brought it up to freeway speeds and about 5 miles later, my "friend" warned me of impending LEO's over the next hill. I slowed to more reasonable 75 and rode past them. I think they were just yacking though and left the machine on in case some lunitic came blowing by at 100. They never bother me, I've even have been passed while going 75 but since I ride like I own a brain and don't hotdog it, they leave me alone. I think that most LEO's understand that it's safer for me to ride a few mph faser than traffic.

Anyway, a great way to start the day!!

jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 173 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 09/13/12
06:19 AM

I am waiting for the real cool weather to set in.

Not many bikes on the road once it gets below 80 degrees. Most of the "V-Twin" guys put them away after Labor Day.

I don't have heated gloves/vest/anything, but I finally bought a Tourmaster jacket, and found out what real warmth is like compared to my years of wearing leather.

My personal best is 18 degrees (that's F, not C) SmileI made it about 20 miles before I was headed for home, mostly because the clutch on my Volusia would slip if I got on it.  

Posted: 09/18/12
04:33 AM

18F is quite respectable Joe, especially if you aren't a year-round rider. I keep most of my bikes ready throughout the year since I never know when the urge to ride one of the older bikes will hit. I took my '75 H2 out last Feb and it was cold, not real cold but in the 20's......I returned home after about five miles and traded it for the turbo with it's faring!!! I'm getting soft in my old age<LOL>. I know that I've ridden to work when I worked in the field and AFTER I got there(a 72 H1), we found that it was 3F outside so the foreman said to build a fire next to where we were working on the deck to keep warm...KEEP WARM??? I needed to GET WARM first!

jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

'74 RD350 in great shape & 1975 GT550 restored&built up and a another '75 GT550 taken in pymt for port work on an H1. All original, nearly flawless '75 H2, '74 H2-fire breather finally completed and everything I'd hoped it would be, 82 Yamaha 650 turbo running 18psi,72 & 2-75 H1's for restoration, '76 CB400F & 73 CB350 all done...gave the 350 to my sweetheart!

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
Posted: 09/19/12
03:15 PM

I ride all year, except when there is snow on the road, or as stated, it gets much below 20F. That's cold enough. I never "lay up" the bikes for winter.

So far, I am perfectly comfortable down to the freezing mark. After that, it's "personal challenge". Smile  

Posted: 09/20/12
08:18 AM

Another brother with heart!! I got into the habit of riding year-round back in the 70's when all I had was a bike....if I didn't ride, I didn't go, so I just got used to it. When I got back into riding after raising my children, it just seemed natural to ride all year, except as you noted, when there is snow on the roads. My former wife still has a picture taken in the winter of '80 or '81 when we got a 2 foot snowfall and after digging out my orange H1, I left 3 tracks as I rode it down the road.....1 for the tires and two for each foot I was dragging like out-riggers<LOL>. I didn't go fast or far but it sure was fun!

Another plus for riding all year is we never have to "winterize" any of the bikes!!
jeff  
Present only:

My VStrom 1000 K7

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
Posted: 09/21/12
09:54 AM

The last time I rode when there was snow on the road, I got into a low frequency "tank slapper" on my Nighthawk 700sc. I didn't crash, but I felt like I did.

I had to get to work snow plowing and my Toyota wouldn't start, so I rode the Nighthawk to work that morning. I was flailing so wildly that it tore the crotch out of my snowmobile suit!  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1049 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 09/21/12
04:04 PM

You guys have it easy. You should try riding all year here.  Gets down in the 50s sometimes........  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
Posted: 09/23/12
04:02 PM

You know how many times I have heard that from the California guys? LOL!

I'll keep the cold, you keep the curve-less roads down there Joe. Smile