Rss
1 |  2 |  Next Page 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Triumph Bonneville or Kawasaki ER-6N

jbeissn jbeissn
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/25/12
10:28 PM

My daily comute is 85 miles a day, so I have decided it is time to get a bike. Unfortunately I am working with a budget of $5000, so I have kinda narrowed it down to a used Triumph Bonneville or Kawasaki ER-6N. This bike will be ridden 400+ miles a week. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on wich one of these bikes would be more confortable to ride that much? I know they are two totally different bikes, but I like them both, so either one would be a cool first bike to me.  

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 06/26/12
12:26 AM

i never heard of the Kawasaki ER-6N, so i have no specific comment to make other than it looks nicely kawasaki in green.  

conversly, i have owned a T-100 bonnie and though it was great. much accessories available for it both aftermarket and triumph, so u will be able to set the bike up f0r commuting very easily and with a ton of options.

there is also a huge amount of owner support on the internet amongst triumph owners.

being that there are several bonnie models and i dont know which one lines up best across from the kawi, that selection of course, i leave up to u.
anyways, my heavily biased opinion is GO TRIUMPH!!!!!!!  

jcc jcc
User | Posts: 60 | Joined: 12/06
05:52 AM

Since you are looking for a used bike, go for the best maintained lowest mileage example you can find. As a comuter, water cooling may offer some advantage if getting stuck in traffic is a normal part of the ride!!  

hacksaw hacksaw
09:41 AM

or it may just add an unneeded maintenance woe.  especially on a used bike. keep it simple  

Buelligan Buelligan
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 06/27/12
02:13 PM

At 400+ miles per week, you'd better get the bike that feels most comfortable to you.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Enthusiast | Posts: 386 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 06/28/12
02:03 AM

Oh don't you get it? Its just the one hit wonder guy again. He comes in here about every week or so with a different Name and a Bull Sht question. He is Fishin and Hack is his first catch every week...   Laugh  
_________
Lets Ride

Buelligan Buelligan
12:30 PM

It did seem like an odd pairing of bikes to be on someone's short list.

But since I got hooked anyway, I'd go for the Kawasaki if it were me in that situation.  

hacksaw hacksaw
06:27 PM

why is that buellie? did u ever own one? have you had a bad experience with a bonnie? i would like to know.

if one is dependent upon ones bike to get to work, one better have a model that is easy to keep on the road. i doubt ER-6N parts are readily available. Bonnie parts can come from several sources. it could be as simple as a co worker knocked your bike over in the shop parking lot, and no extensive damage perhaps, but it could take months for a part you need to show up.

i know for a fact the bonnie will get the job done.

and doyle- makes no difference to me who asked the question. if its steve, glad he is still around. but my answer is the same. i answer as if the board has several other folks reading the thread whom might want insight on this.

for the life of me i dont know who, or why, i should care to analyze each thread to troll proof it. isnt that annettes job?

it could be i am the only one posting with real time experience with either model. its onlt right i should reply.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
07:48 PM

I don't know if this is the 650 Kaw he is talking about because they don't list any of their 3 650s with that name.  Must be someone that worked at a Kaw dealership that knows the bike by those numbers.

Anyway, the bike is pretty cool if it fits you and your needs. The fairing should give good wind and weather protection on the long rides in case of storms.  They seem to handle well too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/djfike/0fc2ea76-a130-49f1-9f66-b0f899b0f3eb.jpg  
_________
Lets Ride

Buelligan Buelligan
Posted: 06/30/12
11:48 AM

"why is that buellie? did u ever own one? have you had a bad experience with a bonnie? i would like to know."

For that kind of weekly mileage I'd rather depend on a motorcycle with a watercooled engine.  I have no personal experience with either bike other than what I've observed.  Neither bike especially appeals to me.  I'd rather have a Suzuki SV-650.

Also... something about the Bonneville being made in Thailand just rubs me the wrong way.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Posted: 07/01/12
01:46 PM

Icon QuoteBuelligan:
"why is that buellie? did u ever own one? have you had a bad experience with a bonnie? i would like to know."

For that kind of weekly mileage I'd rather depend on a motorcycle with a watercooled engine.  I have no personal experience with either bike other than what I've observed.  Neither bike especially appeals to me.  I'd rather have a Suzuki SV-650.

Also... something about the Bonneville being made in Thailand just rubs me the wrong way.

I didn't know the Bonneville was being made in Thailand,, hmmm, I think it rubs me the wrong way too..

Of course my old used 500 Triumph of the 60s, I had to push home if I got caught in a rain storm, was made in Great Britain.

I don't care for the SV-650 but maybe the 650 V-Strom, if it was a good fit for me.

I just rode my Drz-400SM 100 miles yesterday morning before the heat went to well over 100 degrees. Another 65 miles this morning. But as good as it works, it wouldn't be good for running highways back and forth to work.

Guess a used 1200 $2500 FJ would be a good bike for something like that, I knew a fellow that used one for a job just like that.  
_________
Lets Ride

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 07/01/12
04:46 PM

well Buelligan, really? what about the hondas and suzukis made there?

the mileage didnt seem so much to me.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Posted: 07/02/12
01:14 AM

Icon Quotehacksaw:
well Buelligan, really? what about the hondas and suzukis made there?

the mileage didnt seem so much to me.

I can't tell the difference.. ha ha ha..  Laugh  
_________
Lets Ride

Buelligan Buelligan
Posted: 07/03/12
03:34 PM

"I don't care for the SV-650 but maybe the 650 V-Strom, if it was a good fit for me."

A buddy of mine bought a DL-650 V-Strom a few years ago and absolutely loves it.  He's South African... I think it appealed to his sense of adventure.  

"well Buelligan, really? what about the hondas and suzukis made there?"

I'm not really aware of any Hondas and Suzukis sold in the US that are made in Thailand, but if I bought a Japanese bike and found out it was made in Thailand, that would rub me wrong way too.  

It seems incredible to me that a British icon like the Triumph Bonneville could be assembled in Thailand, but such are the times we live in.  Could you imagine the uproar if Harley built Sportsters anywhere but the USA?  

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 07/04/12
09:42 PM

i dunno. the question is whether or not the original poster would be in an uproar. as to me, i dont like japanese bikes made in japan, so thailand wouldnt make any diff. and heck, oldman68 cant tell the diff, so who could?

a 40 minute each way commute doesnt seem like a lot of miles to me. maybe it is on a buell, but its not on a bonnie.

you would be surprised at the amount of *** bikes and even italian stuff made in thailand. or maybe viet nam or malaysia now as well. i know some hondas are made in the philippines.

as for traditional brit bikes, did you know the royal enfield bullet is made in india? has been for decades. roar on brother!  

1 |  2 |  Next Page