Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Every day Motorcycle

Varoom Varoom
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/23/12
08:26 PM

Hi,
I'm new into this world. I've been skydiving but for some reasons I will not be able to keep doing so for some time.
My car is depressing and after a year of visiting every dealership (All the way from VW to BMW) I just could not find anything but.
So I'm giving my life a change, selling my car and getting a Motorcycle. The decision has been taken, I'm well aware is not an easy life but then again I never took that path nor intend to do so. Sure maybe later I'll buy a car and have both but right now this is what I need.
It's not that of a problem, I'm moving close to the office and don't have a family. In any case I can take a cab if the weather goes to extreme.

I've been looking all kinds of motorcycles and learning to ride. Still I have a mess in my mind and need to clear up. So I thought asking you guys for advice.

Obviously I need something that works all the time and won't just get sentimental and decide not to start. Something I can go to work every day and still go for a fun week-end ride.

On looks the Triumph Thruxton wins me over, some mods here and there and it's perfect looking. But not sure is the kind of motorcycle you fit saddlebags.
Next would be the Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight with whom I'm really getting in love. The sound, the looks, the ride, the build and every thing. My only concern, an ironic one, is the tank... yes the very thing that gives it's looks. I don't know how often I will have to be refueling if I decide to go touring. Let me know what's been your experience with this.
I could go for a Nightster then. But what about an XL1200 Custom and try to move it's looks towards the other two? From all of them as an every day motorcycle the XL1200C seems the best idea.
I test rode them and felt very confident. Specially since I'm a new rider; 1200 seemed scary and even though every one told me it was not the same as in a sport bike, I had my doubts. Doubts clear I loved it.
One thing that is very important for me for choosing a Harley over a Triumph, it's how many dealerships we have around here. Triumph is rare, maybe cool for that same fact, but in the real world when something goes wrong I'd like to know I have a close by dealership no mater where I go nor wait a month or more for parts to arrive.

Till now that was what I've been really looking for. What has appealed to me. Not that I didn't think of a Monster 696 but I don't think that's the right motorcycle in this case. BMW maybe?  A Japanese brand?

Let me know what you think.  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1049 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 05/24/12
06:08 AM

One vote for the Thruxton.  Better yet, get the Scrambler.

Even better, get the tiger 800 3-banger.  

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/24/12
08:03 AM

having had  a Triumph Bonnie and several Sportsters, i cant fault either.
Personally, and if i lived as close to the office as you do, i would go for the 48.   never mind the gas capacity. being new to riding how far are you going  to go on a tank of gas without wanting to stop anyways? traditionally you get 90 miles on a 2.2g tank. you can always upgrade the tank down the road.

now i dont know where you live, but consider this-  many areas of the country sell crap for gas. it might take you 2 weeks of running back and forth to your close by office to require even filling the 2.2.  crappy gas can get nasty in that time. no alarm there, but i would rather have fresh gas every week than half a tank sitting for a month.    

the Triumph Scrambler is fine if your  touring wont be utilitizing  a lot of fast freeway riding. i beleive its geared for secondary roads. but check that yourself.
you are right about the thruxton ergos. a bit extreme sportwise for commuting or touring, allthough i bet many are used that way.
i disagree with joe G about the triple. its a rather complex machine  for a newbie unless you really trust your dealers service people. even more so a Ducati.

The bonneville is the better Triumph bet. i think this years color schemes suk though.

the harley 72 is freaking kool! if you can find one. i'd like to get rid of my dyna and get a 48 or  72 myslef. even the nighster or  883 iron with a 1200 upgrade.

i also dont know your age. but the sporty has come full circle to be the hep bike again. some folks may not like that in thinking its a fad. but remember, the sporty has been around since the 1950's which spans just about every fad there ever was.   and its still kool!

as to BMW, i keep saying i will get another, but they keep raising the price and playing around with model names, especially F800/650 models, which drives me crazy. they are expensive and also sit rather high. so for me its extra coin to lower the darn things.

i am not a japanese bike guy. there are likely many out there that would work fine for you. one must draw the line somewhere, i just dont do japan.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Enthusiast | Posts: 386 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 05/29/12
09:07 AM

A 15 mile ride on Harley's new 72 cured my lust for it.. A 15 mile ride a couple of years ago on the 48 cured both my interest and my wifes in the 48. Both of us rode the bike, me on a Friday and her on Saturday.

I rode the New Switchback and it is a nice bike all the way around. It would be my choice over any of the sportsters. I also liked the Deluxe 103, the Switchback was a 103 cubic inch motor also.

My wife gets around very well on her Honda RS 750 Shadow but it had to be regeared and a couple other things to get any power.

I have several motorcycles and my best all around bike is my Kawasaki KLR650 single. My quickest bike through the curves is my Suzuki 400 Motard, it makes me look better than I am. Smile

When I first started riding, I did lots of dumb stuff and dropped the bike a few times. Looked like someone took a huge grinder to my back fender, but it was only pavement marks from a wheelie that got away.  Shocked

I wouldn't want to start out on a new Triumph or Harley if you didn't already have the hang of riding. Harley Sportsters like the 72 and the 883 Iron have shocks that will almost break your back over the smallest of bumps. Only about 1.8 inches of travel. People need twice that much rear wheel travel unless you are only going from Bar to Bar to look cool.  Cool  
_________
Lets Ride

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 05/29/12
08:39 PM

well, if your back is 68 years old, then i guess one might need 1.8 feet of travel.

its also nice to find out that there arent any "smallest of bumps" between bars in oldmans neck of the woods.

but let me just say this, there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking the way one, or ones bike, looks. its part of the fun.
many triumph dealers have demos. go ride one.
the harley demo fleet is traveling aeround, been in the nor' east coast lately. check your neighbor hood HD to see when it hits your area.  

Buelligan Buelligan
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 06/04/12
01:38 PM

Some great deals on used bikes out there.  I'd see what was available for a song before I settled on exactly what brand or model of bike to buy.

You might be able to score a cool BMW or something you thought was out of your price range.  

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 06/06/12
11:40 AM

sure you might, but how about someone like the guy whom asked? he is new to the sport, and i would certainly  suggest he buy a brandy new bike with  a warranty and hopefully good dealer support. especially before buying something as complicated and expensive to keep on  the road as a BMW.    Ooo  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Posted: 06/09/12
09:02 AM

I think we just wasted our time. I think " Varoom " is just some made up name for some idiot to come here and jerk us around. Big time Skydiver and all that shyt and knows way too many names of bikes for someone that hasn't been around the block. fk'um.. You notice he has never been back after posting his shyt..  
_________
Lets Ride

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 06/13/12
10:31 AM

i have to agree with you doyle. nobody normal is going to post such a long and involved first ever post, then not return to follow up. unless of course his proverbial chute didnt open.  

hacksaw hacksaw
10:31 AM

i have to agree with you doyle. nobody normal is going to post such a long and involved first ever post, then not return to follow up. unless of course his proverbial chute didnt open.  

JustUs JustUs
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 11/11
04:14 PM

He bought himself a new 2012 Hayabusa Limited Edition as recommended from the salesman...  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Posted: 06/14/12
03:40 AM

Icon QuoteJustUs:
He bought himself a new 2012 Hayabusa Limited Edition as recommended from the salesman...

With all the ZX-14 advertizements on this site and it also eats Busas, why would he buy 2nd best?   Confused  
_________
Lets Ride