Rss
1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  Next Page   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

XS1100 Chain Conversion Kit

Smoke-dog Smoke-dog
User | Posts: 69 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 02/14/11
11:19 PM

I've been looking for a way to make my XS1100 chain drive. What i had found in the past were old builds and no way to contact the person/s who did them. But yesterday i found a guy on ebay who's doing them but it seems like the price is steep.

Here is the link Yami Conversion
What do you guys think?  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1055 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 02/15/11
05:23 AM

Unless you plan on road racing or dragging the Excess 1100 I'd leave the shaft.

Shaft drive is generally better than chain on big road bikes, although, the new o-ring chains are really good. I have 13,000 on an o-ring'd Kawasaki 1100 and have not needed to adjust it yet.

If you are building a custom and want to dump the shaft for looks -that's another kettle of Mahi.  

Smoke-dog Smoke-dog
Posted: 02/15/11
11:28 AM

Icon Quotejoegresh:
Unless you plan on road racing or dragging the Excess 1100 I'd leave the shaft.

Shaft drive is generally better than chain on big road bikes, although, the new o-ring chains are really good. I have 13,000 on an o-ring'd Kawasaki 1100 and have not needed to adjust it yet.

If you are building a custom and want to dump the shaft for looks -that's another kettle of Mahi.

The plan is to give it a "modern" look, i want to change the wheels and subframe. More than anything i want to make it lighter and handle better so a sport bike swingarm and a set of forks are on the list too...  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Enthusiast | Posts: 386 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/16/11
01:54 AM

Good Luck to you Mr Smoke, The worst wobble I ever had out of any bike was the XS-1100 Yamaha while trying to pass a CBX on the inside of a curve at 90 mph.

Yamaha sent a tec to check it out and in the end told me there wasn't a Yamaha XS-1100 sitting in a showroom anywhere in the country that would go through that curve at that speed.

Stock times in 1/4 mile were 11:80 at 114 mph  Top speed 135 mph.  
_________
Lets Ride

Smoke-dog Smoke-dog
08:32 AM

Icon QuoteOldMan67:
Good Luck to you Mr Smoke, The worst wobble I ever had out of any bike was the XS-1100 Yamaha while trying to pass a CBX on the inside of a curve at 90 mph.

Yamaha sent a tec to check it out and in the end told me there wasn't a Yamaha XS-1100 sitting in a showroom anywhere in the country that would go through that curve at that speed.

Stock times in 1/4 mile were 11:80 at 114 mph  Top speed 135 mph.

Thank you sir,  Cool

The change in forks and swingarm/shocks should eliminate the wobble, well at least some of it  Wink  

I also plan on using a aluminum subframe and sportbike tail section to trim the fat. But the hard part for me right now is finding the chain conversion kit at a "decent" price. With those changes i should be able to get a nice increase in power as well...  

Smoke-dog Smoke-dog
09:00 AM

Here is an example of what im trying to create but with a more modern look. This bike was riden by Rodney Gray in the South African F1 class...

Dscn7604ja4  

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
09:08 AM

i duno about the wobble. reminds me of the first /5 BMW's.
and believe it , that wobbles can certainly be caused by an issue in the rear.

the price of that unit seems fair to me. when considering all the other mods you have to make , i would have to wonder if there wasnt a sport type bike out there that would be easier/cheaper to trade over to?

the idea behind the ebay conversion is to run that silly wide tyre. if one wants to do that, there isnt any other options out there.

but in any case. my question would be on how wide the swingarm would have to be to utilize this conversion box. meaning would it even work with a smaller wheel width?

i agree with you that  chain is a much more sporting set up than shaft.  

hacksaw hacksaw
09:10 AM

have you tried to contact rodney gray?  

Smoke-dog Smoke-dog
09:28 AM

Rodney Gray was only the rider the owner was/is John Baker and the conversion was done by Ophie Howard of Precision Engineering.

I thought about taking it to the local machine shop to see what they could do and get an estimate. It just doesn't seem like $450 worth of labor involved, i might take it with me to work and see what i can do.

Far as the other mods, forks, swingarm, wheels etc., i will get from a Yamaha sport bike. Im just not sure which model yet...  

joegresh joegresh
02:48 PM

Isn't a FJ the same engine? Get UJM's frame. He likes old AC 4s.

Grey's bike is cool. Now I approve of the conversion.  Still, you could do most of it and be out riding, then do the chain later.  

joegresh joegresh
02:49 PM

The R75/5 weaved more than wobbled.  

Smoke-dog Smoke-dog
Posted: 02/19/11
11:00 AM

Im really not sure if they are but the bikes been in my garage forever and i have plenty of bikes to ride while im working on it.

Besides, i think Steve is pretty happy with his new steed and wouldn't want to trade for a bike that's been hacked on already lol!!!

I'll probably start on the swingarm mod in the meantime so that way i'll know the width i need when it time to do the conversion...  

hacksaw hacksaw
Posted: 02/19/11
10:35 PM

well, ok. wobbled sounds more german though.

i have an 1970 R60/5 maybe i will do something with someday.  

Rode off into the sunset Rode off into the sunset
Guru | Posts: 899 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 02/20/11
07:00 AM

Icon QuoteSmoke-dog:
Here is an example of what im trying to create but with a more modern look. This bike was riden by Rodney Gray in the South African F1 class...

Dscn7604ja4

I have always liked that style of bike. Looks great to me, plus, somewhat practical.

My FJ has a perimeter frame, just would not look right IMO.

If anyone can do it, Smoke can!

Here is one conversion:

DSCF2491

DSCF2492

DSCF2493

DSCF2494

Link to the thread / XS11 forum  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Enthusiast | Posts: 386 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/20/11
12:21 PM

Icon Quote:
Isn't a FJ the same engine? Get UJM's frame. He likes old AC 4s.

Grey's bike is cool. Now I approve of the conversion.  Still, you could do most of it and be out riding, then do the chain later.  

The First year XS-1100 was their fastest and it was down at least 17 hp to the first year FJ-1100. But nothing could stay with the 78 XS-1100 in a high gear roll-on when it came out. A Very Good Torque Engine, but a bit flat on the top end for Horsepower.  
_________
Lets Ride

1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  Next Page   | Last