Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Seat height

trispeed13 trispeed13
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/16/11
12:47 PM

Hi all, I am trying to start a campaign against the manufacturers and media for forcing this 'low seat height' fad on us. I am a long time bike fanatic and have owned over 125 motorcycles. What gets me is that the (misguided) quest for a low seat makes them so uncomfortable to ride. Full on sport bikes are OK as they are usually 32" or more, but cruisers, touring bikes and so called 'standards' are ridiculously low.
Not only looks stupid (like a 3 year old kid riding a 'Big Wheel' trike) but it forces you to bend your knees and hips at uncomfortable angles. Totally unnecessary, let's get seat heights back to where they were in the 70's and early 80's; back when you could road race, tour or cruise around town on the same bike!!
Thanks for letting me rant.  

Rode off into the sunset Rode off into the sunset
Guru | Posts: 899 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 01/17/11
06:13 AM

Good rant, but honestly, I do see plenty of options out there.

I work at a dealership that carries all of the "big four" plus a couple others, and there are some really nice motorcycles with realistic seat heights.

Cross off the cruisers, and sport bikes have those foot pegs too close to the seats. Supermotards, nice - and the FZ-1, Ninja 1000, Kawasaki 650's, and others, are also pretty darn good.

Again, I'm with you in hoping that fad is over.

Case in point:

Icon Quote:
This is 10-1/2’ of SEXY with Suspension!! It’s all you’ve ever wanted in a bike - you just can’t go up from here!!
Cobra style -long and low rigid look with amazing hidden coil-over shock suspension. Engines available up to 155 Cu. In.
330 Rear Tire - Standard with rear pegs & passenger seat AND available with removable machined Billet Sissy Bar.
Starting at $86,000.00 U.S.D.- Black Out edition starting at $95,000.00 U.S.D. Custom build yours today and be riding in about 12 weeks.

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 01/30/11
09:41 PM

that bike also suffers from the origami fuglies.
thats the fad i hope ends . all angular and totally inorganic.

low bikes generally are pretty cool. i have to applaud most of them. some have become too extreme, i admit, but i HATE riding tall bikes. so i dont.

what we dont need is the mega cruisers and 190mph ricerockets.

74(cubic inches).... or more!
that was the old standard cry using Harleys 1200cc big twins as the bench mark of cool. which they were. but i also own a HD TC96, and honestly , its bigger than need be. other manufacturers are even pushing bigger cruisers than that.
well.... hopefully not pushing them up grades!!!  

back to the original poster. the vote for models is done with buyers. i admit that admen and moto scribes tend to convince folks they need the latest 2 wheeled Starship Enterprise, but thats something we must simply resist!
easy for me to do in this economy.  

5chord 5chord
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/31/11
04:47 PM

Sorry I don't understand the "forcing" part. As a 5' 7" rider I applaud the "low seat height fad" and many women now have the chance to ride when they would not have in the old days. Choices are a good thing.  

Calli Calli
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/01/11
02:19 PM

This is a goofy rant; are you thinking everyone is the same height?  When I went looking for a bike I had a small window of selection insomuch as my seat height is 26.5", unless I want to re-engineer a bike, which I don't know how to do.  Sure, I guess you think I could jerryrig out the shocks or tires or something, but again, you have re-engineered turning, leaning, stopping, performance.  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1055 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 02/01/11
06:34 PM

I like a lowish seat.  But I have no legs to speak of.  

Dirt bikes, I'll put up with tippy-toe action.  

hacksaw hacksaw
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 02/02/11
10:40 PM

i am average height, 5-10. but i know tall folks whom like low seats too.
its a matter of low center of gravity. it just makes me feel good to ride low.  

MuleHeadJoe MuleHeadJoe
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/18/12
09:02 PM

Really not grokking your complaint, kemo sabe. What "low seat fad" are you referring to? I'm not aware of any standard-, naked-, or sport-bike with a stock standard seat height less than 31 inches. Yeah, some models offer a "low seat" or "low suspension" OPTION, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I'm a short guy (5'7") and hate riding on a bike over 30 inches 'cause I can't get both feet on the ground at the same time. And I can forget about riding any kind of adventure bike ... those things are typically closer to 35" at the seat and I don't think I could even get on one without a frickin step stool.  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 175 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 11/07/12
05:48 AM

Low seat height? I sat on a 650 V-Strom and could barley touch the ground. I couldn't have imagined trying to support the bike when Mrs. Joe makes one of her unannounced mounting attacks.

I passed on it and kept the bike I have, a VL800.

It makes a pretty good ADV bike with a tank bag.