1 |  2 |  Next Page 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Harley versus Victory

MichaelPadway MichaelPadway
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 07/14/08
07:03 PM

The Big American Motorcycles

Let me start this discussion by getting to the bottom line. Harley is Harley. Only Harley is Harley. Victory is not Harley. Victory will never be Harley.

The other bottom line: Victory's Vision is a darn good motorcycle, with modern handling and great reliability, and a lot of Vision buyer's would be Harley buyers if Victory did not exist.

What's cool about Harleys is the classic design, the incredible low speed maneuverability, the fact that most things can be fixed in a parking lot with minimal tools, the ability to get help and usually parts almost anywhere, and, of course, the patented sound.

What's cool about Victory is that it's American built, has a fresh modern design, great handling, comfort like crazy, electric everything imaginable, and it seems to be reliable.

I spent the weekend with a group of riders on both bikes. They both have that big American V-Twin sound, although the Harley sound remains unique. The advantages of each are what you would surmise, especially if you have read reviews and test rides in the motorcycling press.

Personally, I believe that this is a great new addition to the American motorcycle genre, and that it will not only provide an alternative, but also spur Harley to new and better things, as well.  
Michael Padway San Francisco Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Blog for Michael Padway San Francisco Motorcycle Accident Lawyer

TxRdr TxRdr
New User | Posts: 40 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 08/06/08
08:09 PM

Obviously you are looking for someone to tell you which one you look coolest on. On either you will look just like every other big v-twin poser...silly.

I was so disappointed that Victory turned out to be just another Harley wannabee. Why does every new motorcycle start up in this country want to do the EXPENSIVE rich boy toy thing?  

Wingmaster Wingmaster
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/07/08
04:34 PM

About the only similarity between the Vision and the Ultra is that they are American-made.  The Vision looks like something out of Battlestar Galactica.  A better comparison would be the Vision vs the Goldwing. And you're right; only a Harley is a Harley.  Ness and Sands have brought an influence to Victory that WIllie G. would never do.  And by the way, Harley didn't build the Ultra as a posser's Big-Boy Toy.  It's the flagship of Harley's line; has been for years.  So go ahead and catch bugs with your arm-pits, I'll cruise my Ultra coast-to-coast with comfort and respect.  

TxRdr TxRdr
Posted: 08/08/08
02:23 PM

Look at Harley and Victory prices....you don't pay that kind of money to save gas on 2 wheels. You can get cars that are cheaper and get equal mileage (Honda Civic for example) and are usable 24/7 year round. You pay that kind of money for penthouse hookers and ego strokers. HARLEY AND VICTORY ARE RICH BOY TOYS.  But then it seams most people that are attracted to those kinds of bikes are not too concerned with money, and judging by their attire they are not to concerned with reality ether. But when you don't have bottomless pockets or a vacuous mind reality is what you have to deal with all the time. I would dearly love to buy an American bike if an American bike maker would build a real motorcyle at a real price. Not everyone wants to ride around on a cruiser boy poser pillion or $20,000 800 lb 2 wheel cars. The American bike market is heavily biased towards wealthy celebrities and rich and or desperate exhibitionists 'cause it's easy to get them to spend lots of money.  

trailbarge trailbarge
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/18/08
10:48 AM

MY big boy poser toy cost $24K.... and it weighs 900 lbs, not 800.  thbbbbbtttt!!!

I did not buy it to save gas.  I did not buy it to participate in a fashion show (if I wanted a fashion show, I would not have traded in my HD Road King).

I love to ride motorcycles.  I like swooping through secondary road twisties and I like eating up the miles on the superslab.  I like doing these things with a bike that can do more than what I ask of it and also provide some modicum of comfort.  I ride in the cold and the heat.  I ride for my commute to work and I ride on tours.

I made great sacrifices to get my Victory Vision.  I did it by choice.

If you are unable or unwilling to make the sacrifice to acquire an HD or a Victory for your riding, then that is your situation and I will not judge it.  I do find it particularly telling that you have the unmitigated gall to judge my decision.  The hypocricy smells of jealousy rather than well rationed value comparison.

Tell you what, little boy... Obama mama goin' to give you extry money from us'n rich fokes, so yew jes' stand by and hold your breath for all dat change yew be votin' fo'.  Den yew kin git yer own Harley or Victory to pose on.  

Geoff. Geoff.
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/10/09
03:18 PM

Txrdr, Indian is America's oldest motorcycle brand. Does this make Harley a wannabee?    

Victory is a bonafide manufacturer. I like the 8 Ball. The other models have somewhat bulbous styling. With the exception of the Vision, however, they are getting better with each new release.    

From a technical standpoint, the Vision is a nice bike. I particularly like the bumpers that protect the bike if it's dropped. On the other hand, the styling needs improvement.  

kwakman kwakman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/25/09
07:31 PM

I agree, Victory is here to stay and I feel we are better for it.
I sure do like the Victory engine. If they would build something closer to a standard, they would be in the running for my next bike.  

TxRdr TxRdr
Posted: 03/24/09
04:20 PM

Icon QuoteGeoff.:
Txrdr, Indian is America's oldest motorcycle brand. Does this make Harley a wannabee?    

Victory is a bonafide manufacturer. I like the 8 Ball. The other models have somewhat bulbous styling. With the exception of the Vision, however, they are getting better with each new release.    

From a technical standpoint, the Vision is a nice bike. I particularly like the bumpers that protect the bike if it's dropped. On the other hand, the styling needs improvement.

What the hell does Indian have to do with this debate of Harley vs Victory?  

MexHAMMER MexHAMMER
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/04/09
04:24 PM

Smirk Texrdr  I've read your prior postings and it looks like you have something against people that can afford nice-good looking powerful machines. What's your problem? Don't be a hater!!! If you can't afford it that's your problem, don't dog on people that can. As far as Victory being a wannabe Harley that's your opinion but if you ask anyone who has riden for a while; these bikes are both great bikes, great performance, great handling, great style, great looks, great builders. If you can't afford a "RICH BOY TOY" as you call them, then stick to something that you can afford and lay son!!!  

tuts40 tuts40
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/13/09
02:46 PM

My first post here at this forum.  I read something here that led me to "join", just to make this post.  I'll likely then not return, unless curiosity grips me...

Judgemental?           Definately.
Angry?                 Likely.
Jealous?               Yes.
Envious?               Yes.
Snide?                 Yup.
Elitist?               Could be...
Middle to low income?  Likely.
Insecure?              Yes.
Lonely?                Probably.
Minimally endowed?     Likely.
Wishing he was like the rest of us?  Oh, yes, no doubt!

Who is he?  Maybe TxRdr can tell us.  

Firepin Firepin
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/17/09
09:55 AM

All I know is that after the new Victory Cross Roads and Cross Country bikes come out for 2010. The best place to buy a slightly used Harley will be at the Victory dealerships trade in section. They'll be lined up..Harley's been sitting on thier butts and are now forced to play catch up. There was a day when one payed over MSRP for a Harley.. Now you can get a new one for less then someone payed for an older model. What does that do for resale? While we all like Harleys it's time for Harley to start updating a little more aggressively. In the long run it will be good for us, the consumer..  

revelstoker revelstoker
New User | Posts: 20 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 12/17/09
10:53 AM

College 101. There was a time and place when CADILLAC was the definition of the term but less so today, given changes in the market place and at GM.

--------------------taken from Wikipedia ------------------

In consumer marketing, an aspirational brand (or product) means a large segment of its exposure audience wishes to own it, but for economical reasons cannot. An aspirational product implies certain positive characteristics to the user, but the supply appears limited due to limited production quantities.

An important characteristic of an aspirational product is that the part of its exposure audience that is at present economically unable to purchase it, thinks of itself as having a fair probability of at a certain point in the future being able to do so. This part of the exposure audience is referred to as the aspirational audience, whereas the part of the exposure audience that already can afford the product is called the consumption audience. Consumption audience and aspirational audience together form the aspirational product's target audience, which typically represents 30%-60% of the exposure audience

Weak aspirational brands have target audiences that are almost as large as their exposure audiences (e.g. mp3 player brands), and are therefore slowly becoming commodity brands, e.g. brands with consumption audiences that coincide with the exposure audience (and therefore, brands without an aspiring audience).

As a general rule, an aspirational brand and its products can command a price premium in the marketplace over a commodity brand. This ability can to a large extent be explained by the consumer's need for invidious consumption for which he is willing to pay a premium. The smaller the size of the product's target audience compared to the exposure audience, the more the product satisfies this need, and the higher the premium that such a consumer is prepared to pay.

The larger the ratio of aspirational to consumption consumers in the target audience, the higher the brand's premium, e.g. Maybach cars. To keep the premium level of a brand high, the consumption portion of the audience should not exceed 30% of the aspirational audience.  

jamesfenter jamesfenter
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/31/09
11:14 AM

A Harley is a Harley that like all the rest of the Harleys . Exceptions V-ROD and the XR 1200 Sportster. Not that there is anything wrong with a Harley. I've own one
and riden many , even worked in a costom shop many years ago. A black Harley is like all the rest of the black Harleys or any other color. If you want to stand out ride something different ride a VICTORY.   THEN AGAIN THE SOFTTAIL SPRINGER IS NICE  

Rode off into the sunset Rode off into the sunset
Guru | Posts: 899 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 01/02/10
03:16 PM

I spent a summer with one of these - this one in fact:
Right
Left
Pcockpit
And it is not missed much. I am 6'4" and it just seemed too small.
The quality was not what I expected, a couple parts did fall off on rides, nothing major though.
There is still a scar on my right leg where the pipe burned me - I've not ridden a modern machine that allowed me to burn myself that easily.
I never did get used enough to the key switch or other switch gear to appreciate them , at all.
Even with the Screaming Eagle pipes and other stuff, it was far from being quick, and it was way too loud.
Underpowered compared to the Gold Wing GL1800 I rode frequently at the time. Passing up a hill in a headwind was a cake walk, at will upon demand,  on the 'Wing.
On the Harley, you better just lay back and wait. I'm sure it has more than enough power for some, if you have never ridden anything else, you would know no better, whatever......
Handling, I'm not sure I would ever call it good, fair maybe. Even at low speeds, and at speed, parts dragged that I've never had drag on any other bike.
At legal speeds, it was enjoyable, I'll give it that. Any more, no way.
It was like a biplane, and I mean that in a good way. An old Sopwith Camel, putt putt putt around, nothing serious, no real threat to anything halfway modern.
Harley makes a fine modern vintage Harley, it is what it is, as motorcycles go, they are marginal at best. The heritage and "lifestyle" is what makes the machine, and one of those I'll buy into, the other I can not.
Anyway, when I asked the wife which motorcycle she would prefer to ride on, the Harley or the Gold Wing GL1800, the Gold Wing was always her selection.  

Monkeyshines Monkeyshines
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 01/03/10
10:10 AM

amazing how that story has evolved over time.  

1 |  2 |  Next Page