Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

was it scary?

mciau mciau
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 04/16/08
04:15 PM

i was wondering since im thinking about commuting to work and back on the freeway... if any of the ladies in here were scared of getting on the freeway for the forst time! whats that experience like?? Ohh and another thing.. i have seen many accidents involving motorcycles and thats has got to be one of the biggest fears that i have if i start riding. im just looking for some opinions and or thoughts because im just now geting ready to take the SFM classes. Any input would be greatful  

03FLSTF 03FLSTF
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/29/08
04:30 PM

Yes, I found the freeway to be very scary when I first started riding. I feel that before starting to ride on a freeway one should be comfortable operating their bike, riding on regular streets and able to react quickly/safely. Freeway speeds afford less reaction time to a threat. The rider needs to be aware of everything around them, be able to identify potential threats, have a plan to evade, the the skill to maneuver. Many cage dwellers drive in oblivion with a cell phone glued to their head.

My husband (an extremely experienced rider with many years behind the handlebars) has a saying - there's old riders, and there's bold riders. You don't get to be both.

Don't let this scare you away from the freeway - just practice riding skills until you're ready, and pick a quieter day/time for that first freeway ride.  

FLgirl FLgirl
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 05/01/08
09:03 AM

I am a new rider and have already had a minor accident.  I agree with the others, get plenty of experience on side roads.  Become familiar with how the wind affects you and your bike, watching other drivers and slowly increase your speed.  Your reaction time on the freeway is severly limited by the traffic and speed so make sure you are prepared for that.

The back country roads are great rides and you see a part of the area we otherwise miss, get your experience on those roads and enjoy the view.  

julin22 julin22
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/10/12
11:52 PM

Yes, I found the freeway to be very scary when I first started riding. I feel that before starting to ride on a freeway one should be comfortable operating their bike, riding on regular streets and able to  

Anant Anant
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 02/23/13
05:00 AM

Thanks for the this great stuff.  
New Bikes||Compare Bikes