Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Quiet helmet advice request

ssimon1200 ssimon1200
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/23/07
04:02 AM

Hi -

I wear an Arai RX-7 helment and it seems noisier than my old Shoei.  I use earplugs.  Any quiet helmets to recommend?

Thanks  

tkalfaoglu tkalfaoglu
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/18/07
03:01 AM

I read that Schubert's are the quietest helmets.. I have a Marushin, and although comfortable, I still wear ear plugs for long trips against wind noise. -turgut  

PGAWest PGAWest
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/20/07
03:30 PM

I've found my Shark RSR-2 to be very quiet (and very light as well).  

dinoSnake dinoSnake
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 06/11/09
11:09 AM

I've gone from Arai to HJC to Shoei.  Regrefully...Arais are "noisy", I find.  

"Quiet" helmet is relative - there is NO "true quiet" helmet.  Every helmet, every single one, is noisy enough to allow damage to your hearing over extended periods.  Yes, that's right, every single one.  So your use of earplugs is great  Cool

I have found that noise is due to fitment, more precisely the neck roll area and how it fits you.  When you go to examine a new lid pay close attention to the neck roll area around your ears along with how the padding molds around those ears.  

Ari Henning Ari Henning
Moderator | Posts: 15 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/30/09
10:53 AM

Simon -

I'm the type of person that wears earplugs to concerts, so I'm always on the lookout for a quite lid. I've found that noise is generated by wind turbulance around the chin opening and the opening near your jaw. Many helmets offer "chin curtains" which work well to supress turbulence-induced din.
In my experience, Shark offers some of the most aerodynamic (hence quite) helmets available, but nothing beats earplugs. Drop by your local supermarket, hardware store, or pharmacy and pick up a jar full. You're ears will thank you.

Ari  
-Ari-

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1049 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 07/31/09
07:08 PM

I'm running a Bell I found in the auto section of WalMart.  Lord knows what drooling, swine-flu, ankle biter tried it on before me.
It's pretty quiet, has some Simsoney looking aero line stuff on the shell.  Maybe the lines break up the laminar flow.  Allowing a rider to effortlessly ride through a herd of llamas.  

revelstoker revelstoker
New User | Posts: 20 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 03/05/10
12:33 PM

My old Shoei (rf1000 i think) was the quietest that I ever owned. My new one is an Icon and its noisy. Thinking of going back to Shoei and the new rf1100.  

fujitsuinu fujitsuinu
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/29/10
01:04 PM

I have a brand-new Shoei that is incredibly quiet. Better than my old Arai, Marushin and Bell. Also better than my really, really old Shoei.  

Jer58 Jer58
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/05/12
09:35 PM

I have a three quarter helmet with a shield. Couldn't stand the wind noise. Got a set of knee mounted air deflectors and now won't ride without them. They get rid of the constant updraft wind created by the windshield. HYES, LLC sells them.

Hank  

Bikeguy Joe Bikeguy Joe
User | Posts: 173 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 11/07/12
05:41 AM

I wear earplugs...and either a bandana worn loosely around my neck (engineer style) or in colder weather, I wear a knit winter hat that I cut a hole in the top of.

Both act as a "neck gasket" and reduce wind noise completely.  

joegresh joegresh
Guru | Posts: 1049 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 11/07/12
06:35 AM

The Speed & Strength that was given to me for testing is pretty quiet.  Also nicely aerodynamic and light weight.

The thing is flat black which I like better than the end-of-the-world graphics on so many SS helmets.

I've had it over a year, seems to be holding up ok.  

OldMan70 OldMan70
Enthusiast | Posts: 386 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 12/08/12
02:30 AM

I have found that the better the helmet is for cooling in hot weather, the noisier the helmet is and my best cooling Shoei is the noisiest helmet.

During colder weather when I'm bundled up and all the air vents are closed, noise doesn't seem to be a problem. I also wear earplugs when bothered by noise and try to carry a few pair with me on all my bikes.

Cool  
_________
Lets Ride

Alex7 Alex7
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/17/12
12:03 PM

Hi: Before i was using NOLAN N104 Modular series helmet. That was comfortable but have a noise problem, Currently m using "Arai Corsair V Rc" and it doesn't have any noise problem. No doubt Corsair is much costly than Nolan, but it is important when you have to find a solution for your problem.  

Anant Anant
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 02/21/13
03:42 AM

I have Scorpian Helmets. This are better than Shoei helmets. I never used Arai helmets. So, can't say about them.  
New Bikes||Compare Bikes