Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

First bike for a big guy

GrayGamut GrayGamut
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/03/07
08:51 AM

Ok. Quick preface. I've wanted a bike for a long time, and now it's finally going to happen. I've got about $3600 to spend on the bike, the helmet, the clothes, etc to get into motorcycles. I'm signed up to take a MSF course next week, on Buell Blasts at a Harley dealership near here. I want to be safe, but I think it'd be nice to have a bike which will satisfy my needs for at least a few years. I'm hoping to buy something used, to save cash and so I won't be kicking myself too hard if/when I drop it.

Originally, I was thinking about a Ninja 250, since they're inexpensive, pretty good- looking, and well-recommended all-around as good starter bikes. But then I sat on one for the first time.... I'm 6'5", so it wasn't a good fit.

I like bikes with fairings because they look fast,  but I'm pretty open minded. I've heard people suggest such bikes as the SV650, Ninja 500, and such, but there hasn't been any real professional consensus or even any compelling argument for one favorite starter bike over another. I'd like to ride 2-up with my girlfriend later on, and I weigh about 230, which might exclude some lower-power bikes.

What bikes would you gentlemen suggest for my needs, and more importantly, why.  

GrayGamut GrayGamut
Posted: 06/03/07
08:53 AM

Oh yeah, and I should probably note that I don't mind getting something a little beat up; I understand that my finances may be a deciding factor.  

Ratman Ratman
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 06/04/07
07:00 PM

How about you wait till you are done with the class and then see how you feel, other than that you are gonna need to determine what fits your size, good luck.
*** what fits is whats safe, not what looks fast  

Ratman Ratman
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 06/06/07
07:43 PM

Shocked this place is a ghost town Shocked  

GrayGamut GrayGamut
Posted: 06/11/07
03:36 PM

If I wanted to do the safest thing possible I'd buy something sensible, like a Honda Civic or a Nissan Altima. I've already got an Altima, so now I want to have fun and look good while I do it.  

cmoore-#002 cmoore-#002
User | Posts: 74 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 06/12/07
04:39 AM

At 6'5" I would stay away from the smaller stuff for sure. When I got back into motorcycling I found a used Yamaha Radian ('89 model). It's a 600cc standard. I very quickly found that it was too small for me and I am 5'10" and 140lbs. I rode it for about 6 months before moving up to a Kawasaki ZG1000 (Concours). I love the Connie. It's old school but it gets you there fast. Start small and hone your skills. What you think you want now might not be what you want six months from now.  Good luck.  

vtwin vtwin
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 07/01/07
01:33 PM

One thing to consider is if you'll be riding longer trips on freeways or highways because you'll want a bike with a windscreen. After 2 hours of being buffeted around with or without a passenger, you will be to tired to enjoy where you set out for.
If you're just city riding, then any naked/  standard like SV, Buells, Kawa z1000/ zrx1200, Triumph speed triple, ducati monsters will be stylish. Some more than others per own taste. Honestly, I ride buell and am completely satisfied with all aspect of ride.
If I had tonnes of money, I'd get a vespa scooter to scoot around town for meals and nightlife.  

chad22 chad22
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 08/05/07
09:29 AM

let me start by telling you my wife and i just started riding bikes about a year ago and it has been a blast!  i had a little experience and my wife had none.  we also both took the riders edge course and it was extremely helpful and wouldnt have done it any other way.  the first bike we bought was a new ninja 250...perfect for my wife and good to get my feet wet riding on the streets, but you are right about it not being big enough.  i am 6 feet tall and it feels to small to me so i can imagine how you feel.  i just broke down and bought a ninja zx-10r and i love it!  great power, smooth ride and awesome looks.  the only thing that i would think about is comfort for you.  if i ride longer than an hour at a time...hand go numb, back gets tight, butt gets a little sore...but a big sportbike isnt made for comfort either i guess.  i suggest you try any bike days that they have at harley and some dealerships so you can try different types of bikes until you find one that fits you well.  i know you will enjoy pretty much any type of bike...as i do, but in the long run comfort makes it that more enjoyable.....

ride safe, have fun!  ch