Home | Active Posts | Search | Register | Terms | FAQs
Rss
Item Posts    Sort Order

Hyosungs in the current ish...

Robb-#001 Robb-#001
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/14/07
09:46 AM

I eagerly read the article on the GT650 and GV 650 in the current issue, and, while not a "pious motojournalist", neither am I tender nor wet behind the ears, having ridden motorcycles since 1975. As both a motorcyclist and mechanical engineer, I must take issue with your assemsment of the Hyosung 650 V twin as "reverse engineered" from the SV650 V twin, because even a casual glance reveals that the two engines have notable differences - not only those mentioned in the article (the different stroke dimension, and the carbs rather than FI). I would accept, perhaps, that the Hyo 650 was "inspired" by the SV engine, but I'd heistate to say that it was reverse engineered from it. Reverse engineering implies a level of wholesale copying not present between the two engines.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that powertrain engineers which Hyosung hired away from Suzuki, based there design on their experience with the SV engine, and most likely reiterated some architectural details(since, in the design process they  most assuredly were given power and weight goals to meet under a deadline...in those cases, best go with known solutions, y'know?).

Interesting article though, and I was surpirsed at your more positive impressions of the Avitar as a contender in it's market niche.  

TxRdr TxRdr
New User | Posts: 40 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 08/06/08
12:16 AM

What's this???..an American bike mag actually acknowledged a Korean bike maker exists!!!...Wow, if I could find a place that actually sold Motorcyclist I would buy that issue just for that one reason. But I havn't seen an issue on the rack for ages now. At Wallmart and Barnes and Noble its all poser bike mags now.